Thursday 5 January 2012

Guess what I've been up to today?

Ok, so I will give you some clues and see if you can guess.


Any thoughts?

Surely you've guessed by now!  Yes I've been making some Apricot Jam with Apricots right from my own tree, ok some were from my Nan's tree which had way more on it than my little tree that has only been in for 18 months.  But anyways I've been honing my inner nanna and cooking up a storm!  Now I won't go crazy and say I did a good job of it, and I will say that I learned a very important step in cooking something new ALWAYS READ THE RECIPE BEFORE YOU BEGIN.  I obviously did not and threw all ingredients in the pot thinking it was just like stewing fruit, UM NO IT IS NOT!  Apparently you must heat the sugar up in the oven, who knew?!?  And also cook the fruit up a bit on its own first.  Now I bet all who are reading this are shaking their heads at me thinking 'Amateur!' and yes such a rookie mistake!  But alas I think it's going to be OK for human consumption!  Firstly it set on the plate, YAY and secondly I spread some on buttered bread and the family gave thumbs up, so it can't be too bad I guess.
Now I wish I was one of those kinda cooks who makes cute little handmade labels (not just the ones from the jam covers packet) and pretty gingham lid covers and a fresh batch scones with whipped cream to eat it with, but alas I am not!

1 comment:

  1. Yum! Great minds must think alike cause I just did and Apricot pound cakey thing. IT was yum. This looks yummy too! Great job!

    ReplyDelete